“What makes things memorable is that they are meaningful, significant, colourful.” – Joshua Foer
Holi is just around the corner, and it’s needless to mention that it is one of the most enjoyable festivals in our Hindu calendar. It celebrates the arrival of spring, and it signifies the triumph of good over evil. The Carnival of colors is vividly remembered as where drenching everyone in colored powder, paste and water is the most fun activity of the year. What a way to celebrate the end of the cold weather than to smear each other with rich colors, matching nature?
And how can one not take part?
However, Holi happiness also comes with a host of skin, hair, nail and eye problems which may last up to weeks. Too much price to pay for the fun, eh?
To help protect your skin and hair this Holi, here is your guide to a fuss-free Holi with minimal damage to ensure you indulge in maximum fun:
Skin Care Precaution
- Apply Almond oil on your body before heading out for a Holi celebration. Almond oil has high Vitamin E levels; this nourishment oil forms an additional protective layer between your skin and the colors.
- Apply a generous layer of Mineral Sunscreen for at least 20 minutes before going out in the sun to play. Apply a relatively thick sunscreen coat as the sun is usually harsh with a high UV index this time of the year.
- If you have dry skin, first apply the sunscreen, and make sure your sunscreen carries an SPF of at least 30! Then wait for a few minutes and then use any of your favorite Moisturisers.
- Do not forget the lips - they need special attention! Apply a thick, evenly spread layer of petroleum jelly, or whichever lip balm works the best for you!
- Apply almond oil/ coconut oil beneath your eyes and protect them with sunglasses. Make sure you do not pick your expensive glares to perform this job!
- Wear full-sleeved tops and pants to cover up as much skin as possible and reduce skin exposure.
- Nowadays, organic colors are a welcome trend, so try and stick to them.
Keep yourself thoroughly hydrated with tonnes of liquids throughout the day. It could be juices, glucose, or just plain water to keep your body and skin hydrated!
Hair Care Precaution
The dry and wet colors of Holi contain harmful toxins that can make your hair dry and frizzy. Some important to-do (s) have been listed down for you below to take care of your tresses the right way!
- You need to coat your hair well using a good amount of coconut-based hair oil over the length of your hair and massage your scalp thoroughly. Feel free to use any other oil that works the best for your tresses. (Sweet Almond Oil, Olive Oil, or Castor Oil).
Bonus hack - Add a pinch of lemon juice to your oil to further steer away from the toxins in the harsh colours from damaging your hair
- If you are not an Oil person, you can also apply a leave-in conditioner or a thick layer of a hair revitalizing tonic. It will help take the colors off smoothly, without the use of rigorous pressure.
- We know we all look gorgeous in open, swinging hair, but that’s not the ideal look for this particular day. BRAID THE TRESSES!
The reason is simple - Open hair soaks more colours, and the scalp also gets affected when it’s open.
- Hair not long enough to braid?
Ponytail or Bun for the win!
- If you have short hair, you should wear a cap, scarf or cover your hair with a bandana. This will protect your hair from all the colours loaded with chemicals, and you could rock your gram with this stylish look!
- Hair accessories - NO NO!
Skin Care Tips after Holi
Read more to help yourselves with all the Holi mess:
- Start by rinsing the face with plenty of plain water, and water comes off with just the water without much rubbing or scratching. Start by applying a sulphate-free cleanser and wash off. Then use a cleansing cream, milk, or lotion on the face. And keep a ball of wet cotton wool ready to wipe it all off. Remember to cleanse the area around the eyes, too, with baby oil, using a light touch and be extra careful here!
- You could also utilise your make-up removal wipes, cleansing balms and oil-based micellar water for this purpose.
- Try a homemade Ubtan, using curd, turmeric, honey, and besan. It moisturises your skin and fights against any potential rash/ infection.
- Do not jump in for a bath directly. Dust off all the dry colours gently with a cloth piece, then apply a light layer of oil and wait for 10 minutes. Take cotton or soft tissue and simply wipe off. Then, head to the shower.
- While bathing, scrub the body gently with a loofah or washcloth. After your bath, seal in the moisture by applying a moisturizer on the face and body on damp skin.
- Take care of your eyes - bless them with a good eye cream.
All the impurity and toxic substances must release out of your skin pores. It is highly advisable to use a cleanser and shampoo containing more organic ingredients only.
Hair Care Tips after Holi
Brush off all the excess color from your body and hair immediately after you stop playing. Like really, gently brush off as much color as possible off your hair.
- Cleaning your hair
Wash your hair with a certified organic shampoo as they are free of any chemicals and have a natural vitality to wash off the colors and toxic substances. Don’t try to massage shampoo harshly to take off the color in one go. Invest time in this process. Repeat if needed. Make sure to use a good conditioner on the lower half of the hair length immediately after shampooing.
- We suggest you apply a thick coat of revitalizer all over the length of your hair.
- Follow it up with a hair oil-hot towel-hair spa regime.
- Let your hair air dry!
Avoid heat styling for a couple of days, at least.
Now that your skin and hair concerns are addressed, you can start planning your Holi celebrations. We encourage you to use more water and flower petals and less toxic colours. Alternatively, Organic colours are now readily available, and so are natural colours like haldi, beetroot juice, and organic Gulal for a safe Holi, for you, and the Planet!
Just let go of all the load and have FUN!
Also, Read This: Hair Care: Season Guide to Healthy Hair